Sunday, March 18, 2018

1 Samuel Chapter 24 Part Two (Verses 8-22)

B. David appeals to Saul

1. (1 Sam 24:8) David reveals his presence to Saul
Now afterward David arose and went out of the cave and called after Saul, saying, "My lord the king!" And when Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the ground and prostrated himself.

David arose and went out of the cave: David took a big chance here. He could have simply remained hiding, secure in the fact that Saul had not found him. But, David surrendered himself to Saul because he saw an opportunity to show Saul his heart still honored Saul, and David still sought reconciliation.

My lord the king: Addressing him as such gives utmost honor to Saul and makes Saul David's master to whom all obedience was due. David's words showed that he still acknowledged Saul's lawful authority and was true to his allegiance. We might think that David had the right to come to Saul as his equal. "Well, Saul, we have both been anointed to be king. You have the throne right now, but I will have it some day, and you know it. So from one anointed man to another, look at how I just spared your life." That was not David's attitude at all. Instead he said, "Saul, you are the boss, and I know it. I respect your place as my leader and as my king."

David bowed with his face to the ground: David also pays Saul reverence by bowing his face to the ground and making obeisance. This shows David's great trust in God. By bowing, David makes himself completely vulnerable to Saul. Saul could have easily killed David at this moment. But, David trusted that if he did what was right before God, then God would protect and fulfill His promise.


2. (1 Sam 24:9-15) David's speech to Saul
David said to Saul, "Why do you listen to the words of men, saying, 'Behold, David seeks to harm you?' Behold, this day your eyes have seen that the LORD had given you today into my hand in the cave, and some said to kill you, but my eye had pity on you; and I said, 'I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the LORD'S anointed.' Now, my father, see! Indeed, see the edge of your robe in my hand! For in that there is no evil or rebellion in my hands, and I have not sinned against you, though you are lying in wait for my life to take it. May the LORD judge between you and me, and may the LORD avenge me on you; but my hand shall not be against you. As the proverb of the ancients says, "Out of the wicked comes forth wickedness'; but my hand shall not be against you. After whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom are you pursuing? A dead dog, a single flea? The LORD therefore be judge and decide between you and me; and may He see and plead my cause and deliver me from your hand."


Why do you listen to the words of men: David had many deadly enemies at the court of Saul, who evidently labored with success to deepen Saul's jealousy. Doeg has already been mentioned as one of the more prominent slanderers. Another was Cush the Benjamite, who is alluded to in Psalm 7. The Ziphites were also known to betray David and might have had representatives at Saul's royal residence.

I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the LORD'S anointed: This principle of not striking out against God's anointed leaders is good and important, but it has sometimes been misused. The phrase "touch not the LORD'S anointed" is popular among some Christians and among many leaders. Often to them, it means, "You should never speak against a pastor or a leader. He is above your criticism or rebuke. So just keep quiet." Sometimes it is even used to prevent a Biblical evaluation of teaching. But when David recognized that Saul was "the LORD'S anointed" and refused to harm him, what David would not do is kill Saul. He did humbly confront Saul, hoping Saul would change his heart. But it is entirely wrong for people to use the idea of "touch not the LORD'S anointed" is to insulate a leader from all evaluation or accountability.

See the edge of your robe in my hand: This was proof that David had full opportunity to kill Saul but did not seize the opportunity to do so. As David showed Saul the edge of his rob, Saul must have heard the Spirit of God speaking loudly in his heart. Through this cut robe, God sent a message to Saul. The robe was a picture of Saul's royal authority. It was as if God said, "I am cutting away your royal authority."

In 1 Samuel 15:27-28, the prophet Samuel rebuked Saul for his hard-hearted disobedience to God. In his distress, Saul tried to keep Samuel from leaving. He grabbed Samuel's robe, and a portion of Samuel's robe tore away. When Saul was left holding the torn piece of Samuel's robe, Samuel said to him, "The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you." Now, when David confronts Saul with the torn robe, Saul must be reminded of this incident. God's message to Saul was loud and clear.

May the LORD judge between you and me: David did not need to do anything more to defend himself before Saul. He referred the matter to the LORD. David would let Saul plead his case and let God be his judge. David did not just say, "My hand shall not be against you," he proved it by not killing Saul when he had the opportunity. It was inevitable that Saul would be judged, and that he would lose the throne. But it was absolutely God's business to accomplish that. We put ourselves in a bad place when we make ourselves instruments of God's judgment.


Out of the wicked comes forth wickedness: That is, men are known by their actions. Wicked men will do wicked actions. If David was as wicked of a person as Saul's courtiers said he was, David would have kill Saul without having any remorse.

A dead dog? A single flea: These similes are common in Middle Eastern discourse. David could scarcely humble himself more than by drawing a comparison between the king of Israel in his grandeur and power and a dead dog. A single flea is not easily caught and easily escapes. If it is caught, it is poor game for such a mighty royal hunter.


C. Saul's reaction to David

1. (1 Sam 24:16-19) Saul honors David's mercy towards him
When David had finished speaking these words to Saul, Saul said, "Is this your voice, my son David?" Then Saul lifted up his voice and wept. He said to David, "You are more righteous than I; for you have dealt well with me, while I have dealt wickedly with you. You have declared today that you have done good to me, that the LORD delivered me into your hand and yet you did not kill me. For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away safely? May the LORD therefore reward you with good in return for what you have done to me this day.

Is this you voice, my son David: Saul responded so emotionally to David because Saul lived on the delusion that David was out to get him. David's refusal to kill Saul when he had the chance proved beyond a doubt that David was guiltless. David's obedience to God and his love to Saul made all the difference in softening Saul's heart.

You are more righteous than I...you have done good to me...you did not kill me...the LORD therefore reward you with good in return for what you have done to me this day: This was a dramatic change of heart in Saul. Every change that David could have hoped for in Saul happened. Saul seemed especially sincere about it. David heaped coals of kindness upon Saul's head, and it melted Saul's heart.


2. (1 Sam 24:20-22) Saul looks to the future
Now, behold, I know that you will surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel will be established in your hand. So now swear to me by the LORD that you will not cut off my descendants after me and that you will not destroy my name from my father's household." David swore to Saul. And Saul went to his home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold.

I know that you will surely be king: Jonathan had expressed similar words in 1 Samuel 23:17. There probably was a growing popular belief that David was the person in whom Samuel's prophetic words uttered in 1 Samuel 15:28 were to be fulfilled. Something may have even been known of the selection of David and his anointing at Bethlehem. As for Saul, he must have long felt that God's blessing had departed from him.

Now swear to me by the LORD: So strongly was Saul convinced at this moment that David would very shortly become king of Israel that Saul entreated David, when that day should come, not to destroy all of Saul's children. Common in the East, when one family left the throne and another ascended it, wholesale massacres of the royal family often ensued. It seems to have been equally dreaded by Jonathan, who made this condition of mercy to be shown by David in his day of power to Jonathan's children. Jonathan and David made a solemn covenant between themselves (1 Samuel 20:13-16).

David swore to Saul: David's generosity is quickly extended to Saul, and for a time, the persecution and pursuit of David ceases. Stricken with remorse, the doleful king leaves David alone. No word, however, seems to have passed as to restoring David back to his home and rank in Saul's court. Saul goes home, but David and his men remain in exile.

Many times, a person repents and claims to recognize their sinful ways just like Saul did. But the validity of repentance and a change of heart is not demonstrated by the emotion or sincerity of the moment. It is demonstrated by the ongoing direction of one's life. David had every right to say, "I am going to stay in the stronghold until I see the direction in Saul's life."

It is worse to have this kind of emotional response if it does not result in true repentance. It a man is emotionally upset, as Saul was, and awakens to his condition, but only weeps about it and still does not obey God, his second state is a thousand times worse than the first. Emotion that does not lead to action leads only into deeper sin and rebellion.

No comments:

Post a Comment