Sunday, April 29, 2018

1 Samuel Chapter 26 Part Two (Verses 13-25)

B. David confronts Saul again with the evidence of his mercy
1. (1 Sam 26:13-16) David chides Abner, Saul's body guard
Then David crossed over to the other side and stood on top of the mountain at a distance with a large area between them. David called to the people and to Abner the son of Ner, saying, "Will you not answer, Abner?" Then Abner replied, "Who are you who calls to the king?" So David said to Abner, "Are you not a man? And who is like you in Israel? Why then have you not guarded your lord the king? For one of the people came to destroy the king your lord. This thing that you have done is not good. As the LORD lives, all of you must surely die, because you did not guard your lord, the LORD'S anointed. And now, see where the king's spear is and the jug of water that was at his head."

David crossed over the other side: After taking the royal spear and jug of water from beside the sleeping king, David and Abishai left the camp of Saul. They then crossed the deep ravine and re-ascended the opposite mountain. There was a deep gorge between him and Saul's camp.

With a large distance between them: At Engedi Saul was alone, and he had place himself in David's power. Here Saul had his army around him, and David entered the camp by stealth. It is not, therefore, until he had placed an ample distance between himself and Saul's army the he calls to Abner.

And who is like you in Israel: Among Saul's subjects there was no one so powerful and highly placed as the commander-in-chief, Abner. He ought to have shown himself worthy of his pre-eminence. Justly for neglecting his duty and exposing the king to danger, he and his people were worthy to die. David's whole dialog seems to be bitter and sarcastic towards Abner. There seems to be implied a feud which existed between Abner and David. If this is the case, the royal generosity and nobility of David's character was well shown in his subsequent friendship with Abner, and David showed deep sorrow for the great captain's untimely death in 2 Samuel 3.

See where the king's spear is and the jug of water that was at his head: This dramatic evidence, like the evidence of the corner of Saul's robe in 1 Samuel 24:11, was undeniable proof that David had the opportunity to kill Saul, but he did not do it.


2. (1 Sam 26:17-20) David calls out to Saul
Then Saul recognized David's voice and said, "Is this your voice, my son David?" And David said, "It is my voice, my lord the king." He also said, "Why then is my lord pursuing his servant? For what have I done? Or what evil is in my hand? Now therefore, please let my lord the king listen to the words of his servant. If the LORD had stirred you up against me, let Him accept an offering; but if it is men, cursed are they before the LORD, for they have driven me out today so that I would have no attachment with the inheritance of the LORD, saying, 'Go, serve other gods.' Now then, do not let my blood fall to the ground away from the presence of the LORD, for the king of Israel has come out to search for a single flea, just as one hunts a partridge in the mountains."

Then Saul recognized David's voice: Since David and Abishai came into the came during the night, when David calls to King Saul, it would have been very hard to discern who it was who was calling on the mountain. Only by voice recognition does Saul realize it is David who is calling him.

What have I done: The entire address of David to Saul is intensely reverent and even loving. The trophies of this late night raid were in David's hands, and yet, David had again chosen to spare Saul's life.

If the LORD had stirred you up against me...but if it is men: David makes it easy for Saul to repent. David knew very well that the LORD or other men had not stirred up Saul. Rather, it came from Saul's own bitterness, carnality and jealousy. But, David offers these suggestions to Saul to give him an easier way to repent. Saul can admit that his actions against David were wrong, without admitting that they originated from himself.

They have driven me out today so that I would have no attachment with the inheritance of the LORD, saying, "Go, serve other gods.": Here, David reveals his own heart's struggle under the pressure from Saul's relentless persecution. What hurts David the most is that he cannot go to the house of God and openly be with the people of God and live his life after the LORD as he longs to. The pressure of all this tempts David to consider leaving Israel all together and going among those who worship other gods.

Now then, do not let my blood fall to the ground away from the presence of the LORD: David concludes his appeal to Saul with a simple request. "Please, Saul, do not kill me."

As one hunts a partridge in the mountains: Partridge in the Middle East are different from the ones we find in other parts of the world. These birds prefer to walk. When hunting them, they flee to trees for safety. When the hunter tries to capture the bird, it flies away. After running up into trees several times, the bird grows quite tired. Soon, even if its life is endangered, it cannot fly. The hunters are then able to kill the partridge by beating it down out of the tree with sticks and clubs. It was in a similar matter Saul hunted David. Saul would come hastily upon David and frequently chase David, hoping David would soon grow weary and would be destroyed when his strength left him.


3. (1 Sam 26:21) Saul apologizes to David
Then Saul said, "I have sinned. Return my son, for I will not harm you again because my life was precious in your sight this day. Behold, I have played the fool and have committed a serious error."

I have sinned: The last time Saul was in this situation, he was overcome with emotion. His feelings seemed right, but his life did not change (1 Samuel 24:16-21). This time, there is something cold and mechanical about Saul's words. It feels as though the words are right, but there are no feelings behind his words. Although Saul said, "I have sinned", he was far more concerned about his image before the people than the condition of his heart and life before God.

Sometimes we know the right words to say, we know what sounds spiritual, but our hearts are not in the words uttered from our lips. When we sense this in others, we are to love them and forgive them. If we sense this in ourselves, we should be honest and pray mightily that our heart would come into the same place as our words.

I have played the fool: There seems to be something more in these words of Saul's than sorrow. He seems to blame himself for putting himself again in David's power through overconfidence in his own strength. In these words, there seems to be a complete life-story of Saul. There had been given Saul the Spirit of God, the friendship of Samuel, and the devotion of men whose hearts God had touched. He had acted disobediently and the Spirit of God left him. Samuel was not able to help, and the the hearts of the people had been turned away.


4. (1 Sam 26:22-25) David explains to Saul why he did not kill him
David replied, "Behold the spear of the king! Now let one of the young men come over and take it. The LORD will repay each man for his righteousness and his faithfulness; for the LORD delivered you into my hand today, but I refused to stretch out my hand against the LORD'S anointed. Now behold, as your life was highly valued in my sight this day, so may my life be highly valued in the sight of the LORD, and may He deliver me from all distress." Then Saul said to David, "Blessed are you, my son David; you will both accomplish much and surely prevail." So David went on his way, and Saul returned to his place.

The LORD will repay each man for his righteousness: David trusts in the God who blesses the righteous and the faithful. David knew the truth of Hebrews 6:10: "For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name."

So may my life be highly valued in the sight of the LORD: David wanted to fulfill his calling to be the next king of Israel. He wanted both the throne and the blessing of God. He refused to take the throne through murder or rebellion. He would wait until it came to him God's way. In this, David trusted that God would protect him when he did eventually reign over Israel. David knew if he wanted God's support when he became king, he must support Saul now.

David held on to this principle, and when he became king, he recognized that his righteousness was rewarded. "The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me. For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. For all His judgments were before me, and I did not put away His statues from me. I was also blameless before Him, and I kept myself from my iniquity. Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in His sight. With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful; with the blameless man You will show Yourself blameless; with the pure You will show Yourself pure; and with the devious You will show Yourself shrewd. For You will save the humble people, but will bring down the haughty looks" (Psalm 18:20-27).

David went on his way: Saul invited David to "return" (1 Samuel 26:21), but David did not take the invitation. He would wait and see if the repentant words Saul spoke showed a genuine repentance in his life. David and Saul depart, never to see each other again.

No comments:

Post a Comment